Vilĉjo Walker

Accented characters appear bolder

On the page showing my profile, the rendering of my "display name" shows accented characters (e.g. "ĉ") appear older than non-accented characters- see attached screengrab for an example.

image.png.c6e986ed1ceec344566fc86cb7c63205.png

That's not the case in this message window though - so I don't think it's my PC or browser that's responsible:
this name when typed (even in a pretty big font) has all letters with the same thickness; Vilĉjo

eabweb fb1.jpg

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

Yes, you're right. What's happening is that the font being displayed (Lato) doesn't contain the accented character, so a fallback font is being used to display it. However, Lato is the font being used everywhere else in this site (inclŭdinĝ ĥere) so that doesn't make sense. I'll have to do some investigating.

Eh, who knew? The font doesn't contain the accented characters (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Lato) and yet everything was displaying correctly in most parts of the site. Haven't a clue what's going on unless by fluke the relevant characters in the substitute fonts happened to look very similar at certain font weights.

Rather than mess around, I've dropped Lato as the site font and replaced it with one which supports Esperanto characters.